Former 9x Men's doubles Champ charged with rape

Moose

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
(This was a big story a couple of years ago when details first started emerging. Bob Hewitt was finally charged today with rape)

Former champ Bob Hewitt charged with rape

JOHANNESBURG (AP) — The lawyer representing Bob Hewitt says the former Grand Slam doubles champion and one-time tennis hall of famer has been charged with rape and sexual assault of minors and will go to trial in February.

Attorney Alwyn Griebenow told The Associated Press that Hewitt denies two charges of rape and one of sexual assault of girls he coached in South Africa decades ago.

Griebenow said Hewitt attended Boksburg Magistrate's Court near Johannesburg on Friday and told the court he understood the charges. He was not asked to enter a plea, but Griebenow said he would plead not guilty to all three charges at his trial.

The Australian-born Hewitt, now 74, won nine grand slam doubles and six mixed doubles titles in the 1960s and 1970s.

http://auburnpub.com/sports/national/tennis/former-champ-bob-hewitt-charged-with-rape/article_a17baa63-2f9b-538c-9854-9f5a44c7fa96.html

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Didn't realize this was still dragging out... had it in my head that Hewitt went down for it a while ago. Guess that's one of the problems in naming the accused before the trial.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
britbox said:
Didn't realize this was still dragging out... had it in my head that Hewitt went down for it a while ago. Guess that's one of the problems in naming the accused before the trial.

It has been years, but charges like this are hard to prosecute since it happened so long ago! I'm surprised a "statute of limitations" wasn't invoked! My guess is a conspiracy charge was also added to make it possible! :nono