Federer's 100 greatest shots

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
All tennis fans should enjoy this. The last ten or so are particularly amazing. Man, I'm going to miss this guy when he's gone. One of the things I love about Federer is that his game goes beyond wins. Certainly his record stands for itself, but it is the artistry and grace he plays with that sets him above the rest, in my opinion. Anyhow, enough talk - enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwU4qG_Z8Ns

Puppet Master

Masters Champion
Reactions
Wow, what a great video. And I am amazed by the fact that there are a lot of clips in there that are from 2014/2015. Even at 33 he can produce such shots. Amaizing stuff, and he truly will be missed when he decides to throw in the towel.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Nice. Saw a few people post that on tennis.com before but never watched it all before. Some class shots alright.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Puppet Master said:
Wow, what a great video. And I am amazed by the fact that there are a lot of clips in there that are from 2014/2015. Even at 33 he can produce such shots. Amaizing stuff, and he truly will be missed when he decides to throw in the towel.

Well hopefully it won't be soon, and it seems he implies as such here. Actually, that link also indirectly addresses your remark about how it is amazing that so many of those shots are from the last two years. Federer says he was in "a zone" in 2005-07 (I would have thought 2004, too) and that he's in a different place now, more satisfied with his accomplishments and just enjoying the game.

I think what happens to a lot of players is that once they hit 30, two things coincide: a gradual and increasing reduction in physical ability coupled with a decrease in "young man's drive" - that is, the desire to prove oneself, to win. Roger has experienced both, but his love of the game has at least partially ameliorated the latter. He's also been able to make adjustments that have, again, partially--but not fully--lessened the impact of physical decline.

Anyhow, looking at things historically, the "zone" Roger was in for three or four years is quite rare - for a player to be that good for that long. None of the other current greats have had "zone" periods of that length, of that dominance. Nadal and Djokovic have had entire years and more in which they were in a zone like that, but not 3-4 years. For Roger, 2008 was both the year that mono hit him and Rafa took another step forward. I think his peak extends through 2009, but clearly he was at his very best in 2004-07. He's had moments, even entire tournaments, where he's been in a similar "zone" - but nothing close to that period as far as sustained dominance.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Never would have been able to hit them if Hewitt, Safin and Roddick weren't a bunch of defeatists who were terrorized by Roger's mere presence.

If only 2014 US Open Marin Cilic was there to show him up.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Broken_Shoelace said:
Never would have been able to hit them if Hewitt, Safin and Roddick weren't a bunch of defeatists who were terrorized by Roger's mere presence.

If only 2014 US Open Marin Cilic was there to show him up.

:nono

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Broken, I assume you're joking, but if not, I think the "mere presence" of Roger is similar to how Rafa often wins matches by playing in such a way that his opponent ends up defeating himself - that this is part of Rafa's greatness. So when you say that players are terrorized by Roger's presence, I think it is more that his peers simply didn't know how to beat him, which created a tailspin effect.

If Roger had decided to become, I don't know, a watchmaker or something, imagine what the careers of Hewitt, Safin, Roddick, and Nalbandian would look like. My guess is that you could add at least a Slam or two to their resumes, maybe several to Roddick's. None would be considered all-time greats, but my guess it that Roddick would have 4-5, Hewitt and Safin 3-4, and Nalbandian 1-2. Is there any player in tennis history who so impacted the performance of his peers?

Great Hands

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
just got round to wathcin gthis. stunning stuf.. thanks for posting, el dude!

two thigns that struck me - how many of these displaty fed' skey ability to control the ball when it's behind him, behind his body

one thing i noticed was how often the commentators just laughed after the shots. a combiantion of disbeleif and sheer joy. great to watch.

Great Hands

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Just got round to watching this. Stunning stuff. Thanks for posting, El Dude!

Two things that struck me:
- How many of these display Fed's ability to control the ball when it's behind him.
- How often the commentators just laughed after the shots. A combination of disbelief and sheer joy.

Great to watch.

Great Hands

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Just got round to watching this. Stunning stuff. Thanks for posting, El Dude!

One thing I noticed was how often the commentators just laughed after the shots. A combination of disbelief and sheer joy.

Great to watch.

Haelfix

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
You could probably make a top 1000 shots of his career and still have jaw dropping stuff in the 900s. He hits one or two amazing shots per match.