Experts and former players about the Roger Federer - Stefan Edberg duo

stefanstennis

Reactions
After the Wimbledon final that Federer lost to Djokovic, I collected in this article the opinions of some of the most authoritative ‪tennis‬ analysts and former players about the ‪Federer‬-‪Edberg‬ combination to try and give an outline of what Stefan has done in the first six months of coaching to help Roger develop his game.

Please feel free to link more quotes!

Read the article»

2014_wimbledon_stefan_edberg_roger_federer_03.jpg

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Can't tell if he's really changed Roger's game at all. Roger has been coming to the net a lot more as he's aged so I don't see him doing it that much more than he used to.

Roger was always going to be much better this year than last. I think people were either too hopeful he'd continue to suck (if you're a non-fan) or too pessimistic (if you are a fan). The question was not whether he'd be significantly better, the question is whether it'd be enough, whether he'd have a good year. So far...no.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
You don't think he's playing a more direct style under Edberg's influence, Darth? He came rushing to the net with abandon in the early games against Novak. I know he probably was doing this, or going to do it, but it's coincided with Edberg's arrival and it has his dabs all over it.

I think it's been a success, and at times, a revelation...

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Nah, he's been very active at net for many years now. I think he went to net more in 4 sets vs. Murray than he did in Sunday's match for instance. Same with 2008 final but with hideous success. He will always go there more on grass of course. If Edberg can get him to return serve more aggressively I will be happy. As soon as Annacone came on in 2010 you saw Roger be very aggressive on the return the first 6-7 months of the partnership and with pretty good success. Then he reverted back to the weak and passive returning and has stayed there.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
He was four years younger in 2010...

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Aggression is a strategy, it is not just about ability. And I have no doubt Roger still has the latter on the 2nd serves he harmlessly blocks back against vastly superior baseline players.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah, but his reactions and temperament and skills are going to all go on the wane as he gets older, regardless of whether Cali agrees or not. I thought he was tremendous on Sunday...

Haelfix

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
There is a sort of abandon to the S/V that has helped. It's not just the amount of times he gets to the net, its at what point does he rush the net.. For instance, in the old days at breakpoint down, you would almost never see him rush the net, but he has this tourney and its helped a bit. I thought it helped him win the qf and sf against Raonic and Stan for instance.

There is still a fine line though on what type of approach shot to ride in. Against the Nadal/Murray/Novaks of the world, you just can't get away with coming in unless the approach is perfect. So as a coach you want to preach fearlessness, but then you also need to put some restraint (and this can lead to confusion and hesitation)

Anyway, I still think he won't win another major unless he works on the fundamental reasons he's not winning anymore, and thats the IO forehand and weak returns (particularly the 2nd serve return, we saw a great 1st ros at wimbledon).

At one point, you have to put it in his mind that he needs to put some weight behind the bh return. I don't care if it leads to more shanks, I want to see some return winners to at least get the opponent thinking. Roger has a tendency to just block it back or slice it, which doesn't work against a slow kicker as the whole tour now knows. I mean he probably has one of the worst bh 2nd serve returns on tour and probably loses 80-90% of those points, and this on relatively routine serves. It just can't happen at this level.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
I almost tend to agree with the Chris Evert quote the most. No one can tell Roger anything drastic to change his game and his problem is the day in day out consistency issues.

I think it is unfair to Stefan, because all everyone can talk about when they hear his name is S&V, or just the V part. He might have other qualities as a coach that might help Roger down the road that we have no idea about. Roger always volleyed. And he is not going to be a S&V player any time soon...

I need more time to observe for myself.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
Yeah, but his reactions and temperament and skills are going to all go on the wane as he gets older, regardless of whether Cali agrees or not. I thought he was tremendous on Sunday...

His serve and fight were the only things that were tremendous. He was easily abused from the baseline, ROS was awful and the net play poor. You tend to think he is tremendous every time he loses, why is that? ;)

But Roger has shown more resolve this year than last, more ability to dig in and turn around matches. Maybe that's an Edberg effect, but maybe it's just Roger responding to a really bad year for him in 2013.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Kieran said:

2 passing shots all game Kieran. Before, you gave Roger a target, you regretted it. He either passed you
cleanly, or made you hit a volley that you'd really not want to hit. I am wondering why that happened.
When I watch the game again, I will look at those instances more closely. I remember for a fact that most were not because of Nole's approach shot quality. Some were actually suicidal.

I am wondering if his foot work was not there, that he was not positioned well.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Kieran said:

His serve and fight were the only things that were tremendous. He was easily abused from the baseline, ROS was awful and the net play poor. You tend to think he is tremendous every time he loses, why is that? ;)

But Roger has shown more resolve this year than last, more ability to dig in and turn around matches. Maybe that's an Edberg effect, but maybe it's just Roger responding to a really bad year for him in 2013.

I think he's tremendous when he wins, as well, but the now the guy is as old as Santa Claus and he took this match to the brink with some fabulous play and speed and shotmaking. Sure, he maybe losing something all round, but isn't this to be expected?

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Dude still lost the match. Nothing else matters. Movement was good but the baseline play was nowhere to be found. There is no way he is making an impression on Nole or Rafa without a good forehand. Lack of shotmaking was actually the main problem and it's rare you say that about Federer on grass.

He played damn tough and that's what made it an awesome match. If he brings that fight more often he will have some big wins left in him, perhaps at slams too.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Kieran said:
DarthFed said:
Kieran said:

I think he's tremendous when he wins, as well, but the now the guy is as old as Santa Claus and he took this match to the brink with some fabulous play and speed and shotmaking. Sure, he maybe losing something all round, but isn't this to be expected?

iStock_tennis-santa-clus-.jpg

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
:lolz: :laydownlaughing That was quick! :clap

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Ah please don't tell me Santa Clause is Swiss! It would be better if he didn't exist at all! :snigger

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
You forgot the huge sack 'cos he only comes once a year :laydownlaughing:snigger:lolz: And here's me thinking this was a family site. Sorry! ROFL!