7. F. Tiafoe
8. R. Haase

Reactions: britbox

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
It's seems like it's been so long since this tournament really meant something; probably going back to the Lendl and McEnroe era! Back then if you won the tourney 3 of 5 years, they gave you a diamond incrusted gold racket trophy worth one million dollars! Now it barely shows up as a blip on the tennis radar as a 250 event! Shame; this really was "some" event way back when! :whistle: :nono: :facepalm:

Last edited:

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
It's seems like it's been so long since this tournament really meant something; probably going back to the Lendl and McEnroe era! Back then if you won the tourney 3 of 5 years, they gave you a diamond incrusted gold racket trophy worth a couple million dollars! Now it barely shows up as a blip on the tennis radar as a 250 event! Shame; this really was "some" event way back when! :whistle: :nono: :facepalm:
I think you confuse this event with another one.
This was introduced just recently on tour in 2016.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Ok, I see now, but that was stopped in 1998.
This new one, although in the same city, is a different one. A regular 250 event.

When are you guys going to realize; I'm old and have forgotten more about tennis than you'll ever know? :lol6: I still have Beta & VHS tapes going back to '81 full of matches so I have ready reference material if I needed it! :whistle: :banghead: :cuckoo: :eek: :rolleyes:

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Tsonga is the defending champion, if he will not do well this year he could drop out of the top 100.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Tsonga is the defending champion, if he will not do well this year he could drop out of the top 100.
He wouldn't be the only one of the old stalwarts to drop out of the top 50-100. Given how sturdy the top tier of men's tennis has been for so long, I'm finding this a bit disconcerting.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm keeping an eye out for Norrie - he's made a few waves this year. Has Schwartzmann coming up.
Schwartzmann got him in the end, I see...7-5 in 3rd after splitting TB sets. Very close.

No thread for Sweden, but I noticed Shapo playing Gulbis, which sounds like a slug/slap fest. Am traveling so I can't watch it. Too bad, as it should be entertaining, though probably not beautiful.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
SF:
Schwarzman - Monfils
Gasquet - Edmund

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Final will be between Monfils and Edmund

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Final will be between Monfils and Edmund

Congrats to Edmund who rallied to defeat Monfils in 3 with 2 TB's! Gael can't be happy about being points away a couple times after winning 1st set! Haven't seen it yet; TCC stuck on Stockholm Open repeating the singles and doubles for some reason! :whistle: :nono: :rolleyes:

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
Congrats to Edmund who rallied to defeat Monfils in 3 with 2 TB's! Gael can't be happy about being points away a couple times after winning 1st set! Haven't seen it yet; TCC stuck on Stockholm Open repeating the singles and doubles for some reason! :whistle: :nono: :rolleyes:
Congratulations to him! I'm happy. We've got a British win & we don't get many. Yippee!

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Congratulations to him! I'm happy. We've got a British win & we don't get many. Yippee!

Andy's helped I guess! Britain's come a long way from paying mercenaries to help them with DC along with Henman! I still remember when the Lloyd brothers were all you had w/ Virginia Wade holding up the whole country! Barker & Durie just didn't sustain top flight tennis! :whistle:

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
Andy's helped I guess! Britain's come a long way from paying mercenaries to help them with DC along with Henman! I still remember when the Lloyd brothers were all you had w/ Virginia Wade holding up the whole country! Barker & Durie just didn't sustain top flight tennis! :whistle:
He did. That's definitely true. When I 1st started watching tennis you hardly heard about a British player & I found McEnroe's arguments with the umpire over whether the ball was in or out entertaining. (Dad 1st got me watching tennis when I was in middle school & we had to learn to play. It turned out he liked playing as a boy & he got me to watch tennis & then got out some racquets & balls & showed me. He didn't like how school taught me to serve so I had to watch carefully. He was always looking for a way to get my head out of a book except of course when I asked a question then he bought me a book so he didn't have to answer me.) I liked Pat Cash, Andre Agassi, Steffi Graf & Monica Seles best.

Chris Koziarz

Masters Champion
Reactions
Edmund's first title was long overdue: he's been at the career high ranking of 14 and no title yet. Herd to believe, so I had to double check on ATP. Now thet he knows how to win turneys and not just big matches we should see him being even stronger.