Congratulations to Rafa....

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I really want to give him a lot of credit for coming back from his knee injury so strong and playing well enough to get back to the Monte Carlo semifinals. Unfortunately for him, I don't see him making it past Tsonga, and I think we can all agree that even if he is somehow fortunate enough to somehow pull out the win tomorrow, he really won't have much chance against Djokovic in a hypothetical final between the two.

But anyway, congratulations to Nadal and his fans on a good start to the core of the clay season with a return to the Monte Carlo semifinals. Congratulations, really and truly.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Cheers Cali! I know what it cost you to write those unambiguous words of great praise. :D

By the way, why do people congratulate fans? We sit on the sofa, like fans of soap operas. If that's due congratulation, then congratulate me properly: hand me a beer!

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:
Cheers Cali! I know what it cost you to write those unambiguous words of great praise. :D

By the way, why do people congratulate fans? We sit on the sofa, like fans of soap operas. If that's due congratulation, then congratulate me properly: hand me a beer!

Apparently you haven't received one of those Moxie lectures about how expressing empathy and congratulations for fans of other players is a basic component of decorum.

So let me try once again, Kieran, congratulations to not just Rafa, but YOU with your beer on the couch, getting to the semifinals of Monte Carlo. You did it as a team; it was a team effort, really and truly.

Andrew William

Masters Champion
Reactions
Good work Cali! You fooled everyone into thinking you had finally buried the hatchet and before the false opening delivery was through, straight for the jugular!

Honestly though, while it wouldn't be a total stretch to see the Frenchman beat Nadal, the odds are against him. Tsonga is pretty nifty at net and his serve is light's out, but the ground strokes he's going to have to commit to to get through Nadal is a tall order indeed. Maybe Jo get's a set.

As for the potential Djokovic - Nadal encounter, that could go either way really. Leaning a bit toward Nadal even in that one. Nole hasn't looked superb. Whether that is because he still has a nagging ankle or what have you. It's not easy to simulate the talent of Dimitrov. When the kid's on he poses some real problems so let's not use this past match as a motif for the rest of the tourney.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
AndrewWilliam said:
Good work Cali! You fooled everyone into thinking you had finally buried the hatchet and before the false opening delivery was through, straight for the jugular!

Honestly though, while it wouldn't be a total stretch to see the Frenchman beat Nadal, the odds are against him. Tsonga is pretty nifty at net and his serve is light's out, but the ground strokes he's going to have to commit to to get through Nadal is a tall order indeed. Maybe Jo get's a set.

As for the potential Djokovic - Nadal encounter, that could go either way really. Leaning a bit toward Nadal even in that one. Nole hasn't looked superb. Whether that is because he still has a nagging ankle or what have you. It's not easy to simulate the talent of Dimitrov. When the kid's on he poses some real problems so let's not use this past match as a motif for the rest of the tourney.
good post AW.. At times Cali reminds me of an ex girlfriend, they always want to know if they are still relevant in your life but at the same time hopes that you and all of your good fortunes fall off the face of the Earth.:angel:

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
AndrewWilliam said:

good post AW.. At times Cali reminds me of an ex girlfriend, they always want to know if they are still relevant in their lives but at the same time hopes that you and all of your good fortunes fall off the face of the Earth.:angel:

No, that's not really my purpose here. I'm focused mainly on the matches tomorrow and the final on Sunday. I want to stir the pot a little bit beyond the usual rhetoric, and I do genuinely think that Djokovic will win it this year.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
calitennis127 said:
the AntiPusher said:
AndrewWilliam said:

good post AW.. At times Cali reminds me of an ex girlfriend, they always want to know if they are still relevant in your life but at the same time hopes that you and all of your good fortunes fall off the face of the Earth.:angel:

No, that's not really my purpose here. I'm focused mainly on the matches tomorrow and the final on Sunday. I want to stir the pot a little bit beyond the usual rhetoric, and I do genuinely think that Djokovic will win it this year.
In that case Cali, I think it is perfectly legitmate that Djoker and JowillieTS have a good shot at taking the title because heck young Dimy G sure gave Rafa the toughtest test at MC i have seen in years.:blush:

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
calitennis127 said:
the AntiPusher said:
AndrewWilliam said:

In that case Cali, I think it is perfectly legitmate that Djoker and JowillieTS have a good shot at taking the title because heck young Dimy G sure gave Rafa the toughtest test at MC i have seen in years.:blush:

Why do you think Djokovic will win this time? Because of Tsonga or because Djokovic will beat Nadal?

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Denisovich said:
the AntiPusher said:
calitennis127 said:
the AntiPusher said:
AndrewWilliam said:

Why do you think Djokovic will win this time? Because of Tsonga or because Djokovic will beat Nadal?

I think Djokovic is the best player in this particular tournament, regardless of who wins in the opposite semifinal.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
good post AW.. At times Cali reminds me of an ex girlfriend, they always want to know if they are still relevant in your life but at the same time hopes that you and all of your good fortunes fall off the face of the Earth. :angel:

So how did you convince her she's not relevant, and get her to go away?

Andrew William

Masters Champion
Reactions
tented said:
the AntiPusher said:
good post AW.. At times Cali reminds me of an ex girlfriend, they always want to know if they are still relevant in your life but at the same time hopes that you and all of your good fortunes fall off the face of the Earth. :angel:

haha! I see what you did there. :D

tented

Administrator
Reactions
AndrewWilliam said:
tented said:
the AntiPusher said:

haha! I see what you did there. :D

I don't know what you mean, really and truly.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
tented said:
the AntiPusher said:

I would feel that you would have to just ignore her and tell her to have a Nice Life.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
calitennis127 said:
Apparently you haven't received one of those Moxie lectures about how expressing empathy and congratulations for fans of other players is a basic component of decorum.

So let me try once again, Kieran, congratulations to not just Rafa, but YOU with your beer on the couch, getting to the semifinals of Monte Carlo. You did it as a team; it was a team effort, really and truly.

I don't agree with congratulating fans. In fact, it's an absurdity. In actual fact, it's a form of madness. In truth? It makes zilch sense.

Now, where's me beer?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:
calitennis127 said:

I don't agree with congratulating fans. In fact, it's an absurdity. In actual fact, it's a form of madness. In truth? It makes zilch sense.

Now, where's me beer?

I'll take one of them Cali beers, too, if he's buying for Rafa's fans. And especially for being mistaken for one who hands out lectures to those that don't. Personally, I'll do it if I've been sparring with fans in the opposite camp, as a gesture, but I don't think it's requisite behavior. Personal choice. :cool:

In any case, nice gesture, Cali. :)

I.Haychew

Major Winner
Reactions
Nadal will destroy both Tsonga and F3, I mean...Djokovic. As Samson would say "Make book on it!"

BalaryKar

Futures Player
Reactions
I will still stick with Nalbandian to win this whole thing :D

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I guess Nadal "somehow" pulled off the win today.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Broken_Shoelace said:
Very useful thread Cali.

No problem. Maybe I'll make a thread listing 400 statistics to prove how players at age 28 and 7 months are better than players at age 29 and 5 months. Would you like that better?

I'm sure you would.