Can Nadal equal Sampras' 14 slams with only RG?

Will Rafa equal Sampras's career slams with only RG?

• Yes

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
He's already passed the career slam tallies of GOAT contenders like Laver & Borg with only 1 slam! :good: Can he also do it to Sampras? :eek:

14 Sampras with AO/RG/W/US
12 Nadal with only RG
12 Roy Emerson with AO/RG/W/US
11 Rod Laver with AO/RG/W/US
11 Bjorn Borg with AO/RG/W/US

Insane! :clap:

Very appropriate that Laver presented Rafa with the trophy!

Rafael+Nadal+Rod+Laver+2019+French+Open+Day+BFN8_UA4iENl.jpg

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Insane! :clap:

Very appropriate that Laver presented Rafa with the trophy!

They probably invited Laver thinking Novak will win it. It would have been lot more appropriate for Laver to present the trophy assuming Novak had completed Nole Slam #2

Does anyone remember who gave the trophy when Novak completed Nole Slam #1.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
They probably invited Laver thinking Novak will win it. It would have been lot more appropriate for Laver to present the trophy assuming Novak had completed Nole Slam #2

Does anyone remember who gave the trophy when Novak completed Nole Slam #1.
If that was the thinking, they should have brought in Laver in 2016, as it was more of a sure-thing, given that Novak was actually in the final. Brief google search makes it look like it was Adriano Panatta, the only guy to beat Borg at RG, which he did twice. If you're looking for symbolism in choice of presenter, I'd say that was a bit of a slap in the face. But perhaps Laver was unavailable.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Let me rephrase this thread in normal human language:

"Can Nadal win 2 more French Opens?"

Reactions: shawnbm

Michael;Kiwi

Futures Player
Reactions
To be fair to Laver and Emerson they would have won more slams if not for the fact that they were on e pro tour for a long time. However, it is truly unbelievable that Nadal has already passed Borg at just one slam. I still feel that Nadal will end up one short of Sampras. However, I could definitely be wrong. It is truly ridiculous that it seven a conversation. Nadal could equal the majors of someone who was the record holder just 10 years ago at a single major.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
To be fair to Laver and Emerson they would have won more slams if not for the fact that they were on e pro tour for a long time. However, it is truly unbelievable that Nadal has already passed Borg at just one slam. I still feel that Nadal will end up one short of Sampras. However, I could definitely be wrong. It is truly ridiculous that it seven a conversation. Nadal could equal the majors of someone who was the record holder just 10 years ago at a single major.

Emerson was never pro. Or do you mean Rosewall?

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kind of a leap of faith there chief when your guy was riding a 7 match, 15 set losing streak. Nadal in that form wasn't beating him that year.

Djokovic would have been a the favourite, but nowhere near a leap. In fact, that was the consensus at the time, as Nadal really should have beaten him when they played a few weeks before and looked to be playing good tennis. My money would have been on Novak but it's Nadal at Roland Garros. Some would argue 12 titles there is a leap.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Djokovic would have been a the favourite, but nowhere near a leap. In fact, that was the consensus at the time, as Nadal really should have beaten him when they played a few weeks before and looked to be playing good tennis. My money would have been on Novak but it's Nadal at Roland Garros. Some would argue 12 titles there is a leap.

Should have won a set maybe. Tough to say he should have won when he took it in straights. I don't remember that being a consensus. Tignor picked Nadal but that is also a huge Rafa homer. Novak lost the Rome final to Murray and maybe that gave people hope he was more vulnerable but he still entered that one as the heavy favorite to win.

Michael;Kiwi

Futures Player
Reactions
Emerson was never pro. Or do you mean Rosewall?
Sorry. No. I just assumed he had since he played in the 60's. I guess he should actually have less major titles as he didn't have to compete with either Rosewall or Laver.