[BLOG] Open Era Gens, Part Fourteen: Gen 12 (1989-93) - The Lost Generation

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Read all about it.

Warning: this one is pretty long, but I find this generation rather fascinating and had a lot to say about it.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
It's long, but it's excellent. Typically detailed and you classily resisted the urge to shorten your analysis of this group of players to a single smiley:

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
El Dude said:
Read all about it.

Warning: this one is pretty long, but I find this generation rather fascinating and had a lot to say about it.

Good post! I at first was worried you might over discuss dimitrov and gloss over Nishi and Milos's accomplishments. One moment that could have potentially been discussed more was kei's ill-fated Madrid final against Rafa. I more and more don't think Grigor has the potential to be a great player or even a top five player. He is Richard Gasquet all over again. Flashy but minimal substance.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Riotbeard said:
Good post! I at first was worried you might over discuss dimitrov and gloss over Nishi and Milos's accomplishments. One moment that could have potentially been discussed more was kei's ill-fated Madrid final against Rafa. I more and more don't think Grigor has the potential to be a great player or even a top five player. He is Richard Gasquet all over again. Flashy but minimal substance.

Thanks Riotbeard, and good reminder about Madrid - you're right, I probably should have mentioned that.

I almost called Grigor "baby Gasquet." But despite Grigor's flaws, at least he as an ATP 500 trophy on his mantle: Gasquet doesn't even have one, only 13 ATP 250s. As I think I said in the last installment, Gasquet is 0-5 in the finals of ATP 500s and Masters. He and Monfils are similar in their talent but inability to win a significant title.

I still think Grigor has enough to win at least a Masters title, IF he really wants to. Part of winning titles is drive - it is what separates Federer from the Safins and Nalbandians of the world. But Grigor's problem is the problem of his generation: not only is he growing up in the shadow of giants, but there's a hungry young generation starting to make noise in the rear view. Kyrgios' title signals the arrival of the 94-98 generation, and it is only going to get harder as Kyrgios and players like Fritz, Zverev, and Coric start lining up for lesser titles and to play spoilers at Slams. This generation really might be passed by.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I will bump this up, just to emphasize how much the all mighty Grigor has fallen.
The top 3 of this generation was listed as: Nishikori, Raonic and Dimitrov, with Dimitorv considered the most talented and therefore the most upside potential.

Now, they ranked as follows:

6. Nishikori
9. Raonic
13. Goffin
15. Thiem
21. Paire
22. Tomic
25. Sock
29. Sousa
34. Johnson
35. Delbonis
36. Dimitrov

So now, he is not even a top 10 of his generation. And one thing is still misleading here, most of the posts are about his mental weakness which is preventing him to have better results.
IMO he has NOT WORKED HARD enough to improve either.
The top guys here in this list: Kei, Milos, David Goffin, Domi Thiem have improved visibly while Grigor has stagnated. Something to think about.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Well he's got a pretty good life. He makes a million or two a year, has a rotating cast of very attractive girlfriends, and plays tennis for a living. But i imagine even he is getting frustrated.

Note also that the top ten was mainly "so far." I think ten years from now the list will be more like 1. Thiem, 2. Nishikori, 3. Raonic, with Grigor probably falling behind Goffin, maybe Vesely, Sock and Tomic...unless he turns things around.

All that said, he's the type of player that could win a surprise Slam in his late 20s. I don't think it is likely, but the later career single Slams are often won by underachieving talents who finally put it together for one tournament. 2020 Wimbledon over Taylor Fritz?

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
El Dude said:
Well he's got a pretty good life. He makes a million or two a year, has a rotating cast of very attractive girlfriends, and plays tennis for a living. But i imagine even he is getting frustrated.

Note also that the top ten was mainly "so far." I think ten years from now the list will be more like 1. Thiem, 2. Nishikori, 3. Raonic, with Grigor probably falling behind Goffin, maybe Vesely, Sock and Tomic...unless he turns things around.

All that said, he's the type of player that could win a surprise Slam in his late 20s. I don't think it is likely, but the later career single Slams are often won by underachieving talents who finally put it together for one tournament. 2020 Wimbledon over Taylor Fritz?

Grigor has turned into Gulbis before our very eyes; no real passion and it's more a hobby than a real profession! :nono

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
El Dude said:

Grigor has turned into Gulbis before our very eyes; no real passion and it's more a hobby than a real profession! :nono

More like a male Kournikova. At least, Gulbis did not made too much money of tennis and he also did not needed it.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
As of now Gulbis is still in the tournament and Dimitrov is at home pulling his wire :p