Best and Worst of 2020 - WTA

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The (very strange) 2020 tennis season is done, and this God-forsaken year is almost over, too. I was wondering what folks would have on their list as best and worst things in WTA tennis about this incredibly strange year.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Cancellation of tennis tournaments and for the WTA cancellation of the Asian tour and the WTA end of year finals in Shenzhen(which was totally understandable due to COVID19)...................the worst things.

Now the Good things,

We all knew that the teenager Iga Swiatek was a player to watch,though we did not expect the impressive performance at Roland Garos this year claiming her maiden Grand Slam title in style without dropping a set to win the title,she blew the defending champion Simona Halep off the court on her way to the final,....her game translates to all surfaces,she was a former junior Wimbledon singles champion as well,I can't wait to see her in action in 2021.

Big shout out to the resurgence of a former No1 player Victoria Azarenka,who nearly retired earlier in 2020,she did not play the AO and her game was in the tennis doldrums just before the USO where she found her game again and made the final of the USO,although she lost in 3 sets,we saw some Vintage Vika......Welcome Back Vika!

Naomi Osaka winning her 3 Grand Slam title at the USO,well done,one of my favorite players to watch on the tour.
Even though she is not a favorite player of mine,I have to give Sofia Kenin a Shout Out winning her maiden GS title at the AO earlier this year and making the final of Roland Garos.....Well Done!

Even though there were no fans eg, USO this year,to me it did not make much of a difference as we saw many quality matches between the women players.

I look foward to the tennis season in 2021....hopefully we will not see the many cancelled tournaments as we did in 2020.

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I figured Swiatek would be the top of people's lists. I'm also glad to see Vika back, and Kenin is very good to see for US tennis, in particular. I thought the USO was some really great tennis from the women.

It was a drag, though, that the season just ended and they couldn't reschedule any of the Asian swing or year-end-finals.

Reactions: AnonymousFan