Best and worst of 2020 - ATP

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The (very strange) 2020 tennis season is done, and this God-forsaken year is almost over, too. I was wondering what folks would have on their list as best and worst things in ATP tennis about this incredibly strange year. I have some thoughts of my own, but I'd rather open it up and see where we go.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Worst: No Wimbledon. Lots of cancelled tournaments. No Roger. The wacky rankings.

Best: Thiem breaking through the hegemony and winning a Slam. Also, Andrey Rublev pummeling his way into the top 10 and tying Novak for most titles of the year, with 5. I know, no big titles, but still.

Reactions: Moxie

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
It has been a very bad year but I've got something out of it no matter how bad it has been & I've been enjoying myself since St. Andrews Day. I won't get too personal though. I'll start by stating the best things about this year in general which will have had an impact on tennis & then state the worse thing about this year in general & mention tennis.

The best thing about this year is that although this virus has stopped things going on as usual so everyone has had to be creative & solve problems from organisations to individuals like how we can do what we normally do but in a way where we respect other people's personal space & the spotlight has been on health (& hygiene with some people) which normally takes a back-seat until something really goes wrong as everyone normally just carries on regardless, keeps calm & carries on or acts like a martyr rather than take time out to get themselves well again. I remember having to help give a talk on creativity at work & we discussed how it helps all different people. Problem-solving skills are very important for everyone. It is also important for us to take care of ourselves. It's also made us appreciate all the little everyday things that we take for granted.

The worst thing about this year is that it must have had a big impact on businesses of all different kinds all over the world & there was no Wimbledon as well as there being less tennis through the year.

Last edited:

Horsa

Reactions
The (very strange) 2020 tennis season is done, and this God-forsaken year is almost over, too. I was wondering what folks would have on their list as best and worst things in ATP tennis about this incredibly strange year. I have some thoughts of my own, but I'd rather open it up and see where we go.
I want to know what you think about this.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I want to know what you think about this.
Yes, I did mean to offer my own opinions, but wanted to let others have a go, first.

I think everyone will agree that a year with no Wimbledon is bizarre and only felt like a significantly hobbled year, even though 3 Majors did get played. The right decision, especially since they couldn't really put it off to autumn, and they had the insurance, but still. And as @El Dude, said, a strange year with so little of Roger. I hate to say this, but it started to feel like a preview of when he retires.

As to the worst, beyond the pandemic (in general) and its effect on the tennis calendar, (in particular,) I think there has been some appalling behavior on the ATP side. I don't think I need to reiterate some of Djokovic's transgressions and missteps, but Zverev can be called out again, for claiming to quarantine after the Adria Tour, then obviously not doing it. One of the best things, I have to say, and most deliciously ironic, was Nick Kyrgios calling out others on their misbehavior on Twitter.

Worst of all, perhaps, is the ATP making no statement of policy or investigation when Zverev was accused of abusing his former girlfriend. For a sport that clutches its pearls at swearing on court, racquet abuse and has an actual policy on player behavior, they might have reacted in some way. I'm not taking a position on his particular case, but only calling out the ATP for their silence on the matter.

On the personal side, of course Nadal winning RG and beating Djokovic so comprehensively in the final was a highlight. And if it couldn't be Rafa to win YEC, I was glad to see Medvedev coming good.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The worst part of the weird 2020 season other than the pandemic itself was the PR debacle of the Adria Tour. That whole tour was just a disaster! It did not help that after the first positive COVID test, both Djokovic and Zverev did not take some sort accountability on their actions. Just like Moxie, Zverev's actions towards his ex-girlfriends are disgusting and mind-boggling!

The best part of 2020 season for me was Rafael Nadal winning his 20th Slam title tying Roger Federer in the men's all time record. I really did not think he will Roland Garros especially with the year 2020!

Another best part of 2020 season is both Thiem and Rublev improving their games and reaching another gear with their tennis level! I am hoping they are able to continue their level of play into the 2021 season!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
And what ever is happening with the PTPA? Is there a new player's union or not? They did rather disastrously start without inviting the women, then they did, and then...what? I don't know if this is worst or best, but it's certainly the most mysterious.

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
worst part of the season the Us open, Djokovic being setup Nadal choking at Atp finals again] best part of season RG king getting to Federer 20 majors record and the final KING VS. Djokovic also I would say AO final Djokovic winning a 8th title showing his the greatest hard court player in history.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Yes, I did mean to offer my own opinions, but wanted to let others have a go, first.

I think everyone will agree that a year with no Wimbledon is bizarre and only felt like a significantly hobbled year, even though 3 Majors did get played. The right decision, especially since they couldn't really put it off to autumn, and they had the insurance, but still. And as @El Dude, said, a strange year with so little of Roger. I hate to say this, but it started to feel like a preview of when he retires.

As to the worst, beyond the pandemic (in general) and its effect on the tennis calendar, (in particular,) I think there has been some appalling behavior on the ATP side. I don't think I need to reiterate some of Djokovic's transgressions and missteps, but Zverev can be called out again, for claiming to quarantine after the Adria Tour, then obviously not doing it. One of the best things, I have to say, and most deliciously ironic, was Nick Kyrgios calling out others on their misbehavior on Twitter.

Worst of all, perhaps, is the ATP making no statement of policy or investigation when Zverev was accused of abusing his former girlfriend. For a sport that clutches its pearls at swearing on court, racquet abuse and has an actual policy on player behavior, they might have reacted in some way. I'm not taking a position on his particular case, but only calling out the ATP for their silence on the matter.

On the personal side, of course Nadal winning RG and beating Djokovic so comprehensively in the final was a highlight. And if it couldn't be Rafa to win YEC, I was glad to see Medvedev coming good.
The ATP has issued a generic statement saying it 'fully condems any form of violence or abuse',around the second week of November,still there is no formal policy from the ATP.,which I find quite perplexing.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The ATP has issued a generic statement saying it 'fully condems any form of violence or abuse',around the second week of November,still there is no formal policy from the ATP.,which I find quite perplexing.
For a sport that actually has a code of conduct, and can get shocked as they do about verbal abuse, I think they have been entirely too reluctant to address something as important as physical abuse.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
For a sport that actually has a code of conduct, and can get shocked as they do about verbal abuse, I think they have been entirely too reluctant to address something as important as physical abuse.
I agree,other sports have a policy regarding physical abuse,I cannot understand why they seem to 'bury their heads in the sand' on physical abuse.

Horsa

Reactions

That's very nice of you. I prefer the O.P. of a thread to give some if not all of their opinions 1st though. I can understand where you're coming from though as sometimes when you give your opinion 1st some people just want to argue with you rather than give your opinion or both argue with you & give their opinion.

I agree with the 1st sentence of your 2nd paragraph. I missed Wimbledon but think the right decision was made not to play it until H & S restrictions, rules & regulations could be put in place for the Health, safety & welfare of everyone involved. That was what I meant on my previous post about them having to use problem-solving skills & creativity so things could go ahead because normal procedures weren't sufficient to ensure things ran smoothly & people had to think more about their own & other people's health. It is bad that tennis professionals misbehaved but that did some good by showing the general public what the people involved were really like. It also brought the issues out into the public so they'd have to be dealt with. If you don't know there's a problem you can't do anything.

I agree with your penultimate paragraph. Although I know sometimes false accusations are made domestic violence should always be taken seriously. Things should be kept quiet until they're investigated properly though. I mean things are run on an innocent until proven guilty basis. Aren't they? I'm not saying domestic violence victims shouldn't be offered protection because they should but things should be investigated properly before accusations are made public so if the suspect didn't do it he doesn't become a victim.

I'm glad for you. It's good that you can feel good for other players winning.

Horsa

Reactions
In that case, they need to get their heads down & write or type out a policy &/ procedure on what to do if violence or abuse is reported & act on it.

Horsa

Reactions
Me too.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
And what ever is happening with the PTPA? Is there a new player's union or not? They did rather disastrously start without inviting the women, then they did, and then...what? I don't know if this is worst or best, but it's certainly the most mysterious.
As I posted on the WTA website here,the WTA has got a new logo,to me if there was a merger between the ATP and WTA with the PTPA,the WTA would not have renamed their brand?,

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The worst for tennis in 2020 the many cancellations of tournaments especially Wimbledon.
It took me a little while to get on board the Andrey Rublev train,I was impressed with this young man with 5 titles in 2020 tying with Novak,also making the Top 10 (yes he does have the best hair in tennis:)
Quite gobsmacked that Rafa Nadal won 13th title at Roland Garos and also tying with Roger Federer with 20 Grand Slam titles.To me that made my whole tennis year what an impressive performance in the final against Novak!
I am impressed with the teenager Italian Sinner,he has soo much upside to his game,I am looking forward to watching him play in 2021.
Good to see Medvedev finally finding his form in Paris and then took that form into the ATP Finals,in London,winning the title.

Last edited:
Reactions: Horsa

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I agree with your penultimate paragraph. Although I know sometimes false accusations are made domestic violence should always be taken seriously. Things should be kept quiet until they're investigated properly though. I mean things are run on an innocent until proven guilty basis. Aren't they? I'm not saying domestic violence victims shouldn't be offered protection because they should but things should be investigated properly before accusations are made public so if the suspect didn't do it he doesn't become a victim.
Always innocent until proven guilty, and, as I said, I'm not that interested in commenting on Zverev's case. My point is only about the ATP lack of firm reaction as to general policy. If they're going to suspend players for recreational drugs, they need to have a policy on domestic violence. And not keep it to themselves.

Reactions: Horsa

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
As I posted on the WTA website here,the WTA has got a new logo,to me if there was a merger between the ATP and WTA with the PTPA,the WTA would not have renamed their brand?,
i like the new logo...much better. (Now if they can work on their website.) But I have no idea what that means in terms of where the various entities are.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
i like the new logo...much better. (Now if they can work on their website.) But I have no idea what that means in terms of where the various entities are.
I wish they would get someone to work on their website it has been a Mess for years now.

Horsa

Reactions
Always innocent until proven guilty, and, as I said, I'm not that interested in commenting on Zverev's case. My point is only about the ATP lack of firm reaction as to general policy. If they're going to suspend players for recreational drugs, they need to have a policy on domestic violence. And not keep it to themselves.
I agree but I always think that they should keep everything schtum until a full investigation has been carried out & enough information has been found out to decide whether disciplinary action should be taken or not & then disciplinary action has been taken or not. On everything else I agree with you. The general public need to know after all that has happened. A policy needs drawing up on domestic violence. I don't really want to hear about Zverev's case. I got your point but I was thinking about both sides not just 1. Don't forget I had a hell of a lot on at the time so not enough time to have a thorough look at everything that went on! Quite a lot of things I had to do would have been hard enough in normal circumstances but these restrictions made them harder & I had a lot of very time-consuming work to do at home at the same time as well as discussing new house rules.

Oops! I'm very sorry! I said I wouldn't get personal & I did.

Last edited: