ATP/ITF: Bad behavior in men's tennis and their failure to respond

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
There have been a lot of incidents of poor/dangerous behavior of late on the men's side of tennis. Rather than keep disrupting tournament threads, I thought we could bring it here. Especially as it really does need some discussion. I'd like to distinguish this from the Villains thread by making it about what the ATP/ITF should be doing about egregious behavior, as we see it, not just what we don't like, but there will be bleed-over.

Worst of recent was probably Zverev's outburst, banging his racquet against the chair at this loss in a doubles match in Acapulco, which clearly intimidated the umpire. He was subsequently withdrawn from the singles, but that was all he suffered, except for being "on probation." (And loss of $/points, etc.)

Nick Kyrgios threw his racquet after his loss to Rafael Nadal in IW, nearly hitting a ball kid. He was fined.

Jenson Brooksby threw his racquet in anger and hit a ball boy, but was not defaulted. I bet Novak Djokovic wasn't happy to see that.

There are more, but as @Kieran said in a post today on another thread, it seems to be getting worse. Personally, I agree with that. What goes on in the men's side of tennis with anger management issues? And what should the governing bodies be doing to respond to them that they are not?

Reactions: tented and Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Stricter punishments, that’s the first. Seems obvious, but it’s necessary. Whatever the deterrents are now, the players are ignoring them, and/or the ATP Tour are ignoring them too. They’ve become ineffective.

Why are we seeing so much of this now? I don’t know, but it maybe that in the absence of the Big 3, other players are suddenly facing pressures they never faced before, and they don’t know how to handle it?

I don’t know. There’s a lack of leadership in the game at the moment. It’ll settle but the things that are happening now are just awful. Spoilt idiots acting like hooligans. We’ve seen this before, and rule changes were needed to root out the damage…

Reactions: tented and Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
What I don't understand is why the upper management (ATP/ITF) is being so absent or flaccid on all of this. It makes it look like a.) they think it is good entertainment value, or b.) they've lost all control.

Reactions: Kieran

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
At this point, it all starts with the ATP/ITF people. If they do not do something about these bad behaviors in the ATP Tour, then more and more male tennis players will continue to exhibit bad behaviors on and off the tennis court.

It is ironic that ATP/ITF were able to change rules regarding about shot-clocks, bathroom breaks and tiebreakers, but they are afraid to do something about umpire, ball-boy, and verbal abuses.

It goes to show you that their priorities are questionable to say the least.

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
As I stated before at the present time the ATP is just giving these serial offender's a 'slap on the wrist' and a big fine?
The powers that be are enabling these players to go about their merry way and abuse Umpires,throw their rackets at ball kids,throw their rackets also at Umpires
What the hell will it take for the Spineless ATP/ITF to actually 'stand up' and suspend these serial offenders and send a strong message out to the rest of the tour that this type of behavior Will Not Be Tolerated!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
As I stated before at the present time the ATP is just giving these serial offender's a 'slap on the wrist' and a big fine?
The powers that be are enabling these players to go about their merry way and abuse Umpires,throw their rackets at ball kids,throw their rackets also at Umpires
What the hell will it take for the Spineless ATP/ITF to actually 'stand up' and suspend these serial offenders and send a strong message out to the rest of the tour that this type of behavior Will Not Be Tolerated!
I don't know if it's them being spineless when it comes to their stars, or if they think it makes for a good show, but I think they are going to realize that there a re a lot of fans that don't like it and are asking for better.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't know if it's them being spineless when it comes to their stars, or if they think it makes for a good show, but I think they are going to realize that there a re a lot of fans that don't like it and are asking for better.
Lets take Zverev for example a top player,he abused the umpire verbally and nearly hit his feet with his racket was suspended for the match and the tournament and heavily fined and is on probation? quite frankly I feel they are 'protecting' their so called 'star players' he should have been out for a few tournaments and put on probation for 1 year.I call that 'spineless" in my opinion.

Last edited:

tented

Administrator
Reactions
In order to give this discussion a perspective based on the Rulebook (vs. what we want) here is the relevant section of the Code of Conduct, beginning with the Point Penalty Schedule (I’ve omitted the first section, because it applies to violations related to Entry/Withdrawal Offenses & Clothing/Branding Offenses):

07EE0841-DFA5-4901-A14C-77ED25A89F56.jpeg

E79774A3-4BE3-4E19-AF6B-2A0A24F5466E.jpeg

9A8CA9A5-8A71-4DFC-B50E-BB1CE5B44B54.jpeg

8755AEBE-2A61-4E19-BAFC-A1FB3CAECC40.jpeg

77DC6760-EB5F-42AC-80C5-9FCBC8BA6828.jpeg

594DA011-1E3C-459E-A161-6EFC6F624D05.jpeg

ECC61CF9-2B6F-4A4E-B537-C02D088387C2.jpeg

7725C77A-9EFA-430E-9006-C00D861BF573.jpeg

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I will play the Devils advocate.

Some Players in the heat of the moment of competitive play will scream, curse and bitchslap their equipment. This release is part and parcel of competitive sports and is not unique to tennis. Many sports give some wiggle room ( well, Golf but let’s face it golf is just weird and not really a sport). I had a tennis buddy who in city league always broke at least one racket a tournament.

It’s not an admirable trait but sometimes you can’t legislate all human emotion out there. I’m on the fence, for example, on the unsportsmanlike conduct as enforced this year in the NFL.

If this display results in deliberately aimed harm toward someone like Zverev’s hitting the chair I think that is clearly beyond the pall. If the action results in someone hitting someone else because of this release, aLa Djokovic, regardless of intent ,that also crosses the line. Again Regardless of intent. No one should be put in harms way. If the ball you hit bounces off three walls and THEN hits someone 150 feet away. you. are. out.

I dunno, I’ve seen plenty of players scream , curse at each other and smash rackets in tennis. Again the heat of the battle. The distinction is clearly if your display potentially harms others. Mickael Youzny hitting himself, while bat crazy, was just aimed at anger at himself, but others like flinging rackets across the court I agree is more muddied. Sitting down in a chair and smashing your racket to smithereens while still holding it, penalize the player but don’t throw them out for that.

The chairs see plenty of players venting on the court so I can see how in some cases they give them wiggle room. However I do think technical clarifications might help.

If equipment thrown comes within say two feet of someone on the court or an individual has to move to avoid being hit results in an automatic disqualification that would take away perhaps some of the guesswork, again regardless of intent. Brooksby and Kyrgios would be disqualified regardless of intent simply because they came within a determined unreasonable distance from striking someone else. Or like I said earlier, releasing the equipment from your hand onto the court would automatically result in a game default as long as no one was near the thrown equipment.

Reactions: tented and Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I will play the Devils advocate.

Some Players in the heat of the moment of competitive play will scream, curse and bitchslap their equipment. This release is part and parcel of competitive sports and is not unique to tennis. Many sports give some wiggle room ( well, Golf but let’s face it golf is just weird and not really a sport). I had a tennis buddy who in city league always broke at least one racket a tournament.

It’s not an admirable trait but sometimes you can’t legislate all human emotion out there. I’m on the fence, for example, on the unsportsmanlike conduct as enforced this year in the NFL.

If this display results in deliberately aimed harm toward someone like Zverev’s hitting the chair I think that is clearly beyond the pall. If the action results in someone hitting someone else because of this release, aLa Djokovic, regardless of intent ,that also crosses the line. Again Regardless of intent. No one should be put in harms way. If the ball you hit bounces off three walls and THEN hits someone 150 feet away. you. are. out.

I dunno, I’ve seen plenty of players scream , curse at each other and smash rackets in tennis. Again the heat of the battle. The distinction is clearly if your display potentially harms others. Mickael Youzny hitting himself, while bat crazy, was just aimed at anger at himself, but others like flinging rackets across the court I agree is more muddied. Sitting down in a chair and smashing your racket to smithereens while still holding it, penalize the player but don’t throw them out for that.

The chairs see plenty of players venting on the court so I can see how in some cases they give them wiggle room. However I do think technical clarifications might help.
I'm not even sure you're playing Devil's Advocate. I think we all agree that most players are going to smash the odd racquet, curse, and generally blow off steam. It doesn't put them automatically on the Villains list. One part of my question is when it goes too far without proper sanction. I think Zverev is an example here. The guy is 6'6" and a young, fit athlete. Not only did he abuse his racquet, and the umpire, he intimidated the umpire. Wouldn't you have been intimidated? At this point, I think it's worth reading the Code that @tented posted. Even a skim reminds us of the rules. While Zverev's match was over, so they couldn't assess warning/point penalty/game penalty/default, they chose the lesser road of just fining him, (a millionaire athlete) and putting him on probation. I think most of us here think that was getting off light. I'm OK with the chair using judgement as to wiggle room, to judge the heat of the moment, but it seems that the ATP, in particular, is reluctant to staunch a certain amount of behavior that is becoming worse, IMO.
If equipment thrown comes within say two feet of someone on the court or an individual has to move to avoid being hit results in an automatic disqualification that would take away perhaps some of the guesswork, again regardless of intent. Brooksby and Kyrgios would be disqualified regardless of intent simply because they came within a determined unreasonable distance from striking someone else. Or like I said earlier, releasing the equipment from your hand onto the court would automatically result in a game default as long as no one was near the thrown equipment.
This to me is the opposite of your being Devil's Advocate. By this, you'd say a near-miss becomes a default. That would harden the rules, and seems a bit much, though there could be a place for umpire/supervisor discretion (as in the case of Brooksby.) I'd say again: read the rules, and I think they take all or most of this into account. I have to say this: it's useless to make the point of "intent." Your whole point at the beginning of your post is that this behavior is basically self-directed and self-harming, or, at best, to blow of the steam valve. No one in 99% of cases intends to harm anyone. (Though Zverev came close to seeming to.) What Kyrgios did, he did when the match was over. And he's been fined according to the rules. If there were a rule for nearly hitting someone, I will remind you that Djokovic would have to have been defaulted in the 2016 French Open.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
After this first phrase of the season with so much racquet smashing, umpire abuse and generally poor behavior, it's good to see a couple of nice guys finish last.

Reactions: tented

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
On Monday,ATP chairman Andrea Guadenzi sent out a circular to the workforce in which he said that tougher rulings would be introduced during the up coming clay court season.
"Effective immediately,the ATP Officiating team has been directed to take a stricter stance in judging violations of the Code of Conduct said Gaudenzi.
"Additional,we are also undertaking a review of the Code,as well as the disciplinary processes,to ensure that if provides appropriate and up to date penalties for serious violations and repeat offenders".

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
On Monday,ATP chairman Andrea Guadenzi sent out a circular to the workforce in which he said that tougher rulings would be introduced during the up coming clay court season.
"Effective immediately,the ATP Officiating team has been directed to take a stricter stance in judging violations of the Code of Conduct said Gaudenzi.
"Additional,we are also undertaking a review of the Code,as well as the disciplinary processes,to ensure that if provides appropriate and up to date penalties for serious violations and repeat offenders".
Thanks Moxie I was going to post here I thought it best to put it on the ATP News first up

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I have just witnessed on twitter via a video a match between No 1 seeded player Michale Kouame from France,slap his opponent in the face ,at the net after he lost to Raphael Nii Ankrah at the ongoing TGF ITF jnrs world tour at the Accra sports stadium?
This young man needs to be banned for sometime and attend a self help therapy group,he has problems?
This is now happening at junior level and has to be Stopped Now.Enough is Enough.( I hope he wasnt watching the Will Smith incident at the Oscars)
I will follow this particular incident and report back.

Last edited:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I have just witnessed on twitter via a video a match between No 1 seeded player Michale Kouame from France,slap his opponent in the face ,at the net after he lost to Raphael Nii Ankrah at the ongoing TGF ITF jnrs world tour at the Accra sports stadium?
This young man needs to be banned for sometime and attend a self help therapy group,he has problems?
This is now happening at junior level and has to be Stopped Now.Enough is Enough.( I hope he wasnt watching the Will Smith incident at the Oscars)
I will follow this particular incident and report back.
Yeah, I saw a video of that. It’s in this article from a website that’s generally a little “incoherent” and unreliable, and it’s shocking and shameful stuff. It seems there was no indication that he’d slap his opponent, they were preparing to shake hands.

I don’t agree with the articles headline that Kyrgios and Zverev’s behaviour encouraged this. They’ve suggested this, as a quote in the article headline, but typically the unattributed quote isn’t found anywhere in the article…

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah, I saw a video of that. It’s in this article from a website that’s generally a little “incoherent” and unreliable, and it’s shocking and shameful stuff. It seems there was no indication that he’d slap his opponent, they were preparing to shake hands.

I don’t agree with the articles headline that Kyrgios and Zverev’s behaviour encouraged this. They’ve suggested this, as a quote in the article headline, but typically the unattributed quote isn’t found anywhere in the article…
I just sat there in 'shock' with I saw he slapped his opponent in the face,it came from nowhere.I agree with you that Zverev's or Kyrgios behavior did not encouraged this.I hope the French Tennis Federation take a firm stance with this young man and ban him for sometime as well as the ITF.

Last edited:

tented

Administrator
Reactions

Does he have a wife or girlfriend with alopecia?