Atlanta Showdown: The Smyczek vs Young Rivarly

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Tim Smyczek vs Donald Young will play first round in Atlanta. Just out of curiosity I checked the head to head and was surprised to learn these two have played against each other sixteen times already!

That’s right – 16. The first thirteen meetings were in ATP qualifying, Challengers and one Futures back in 2007. The most recent three all were contested last year on the ATP Main Tour.

Young won the first four meetings in straight sets. Then Smyczek finally got on the board in 2009 at the Winnetka Challenger, winning 62 76. Young regained the mental edge by winning the next two meetings in three sets in 2010 and then Smyczek regained the edge winning the next two. Overall, Young leads the sub ATP Tour matches head to head 8-5.

Young and Smyczek battled three times last year in Delray Beach, Houston and Atlanta. Smyczek won the first two matches – 16 76 62 in Delray and 62 64 in Houston and then Young won a thriller in Atlanta one year ago 46 76 63.

The all time overall head to head (not counting any junior duels) stands at 9-7 for Young.

Today’s contest, the seventeenth overall over the last decade, will be more important for the 29 year old Smyczek who has dropped down to 194 in the world. Young, 28, has had a pretty good season, beating John Isner for the first time in Memphis and reaching the Roland Garros doubles final, to sustain his singles ranking at typical 51.

Donald Young vs Tim Smyczek may not get the fanfare or media glory but it’s one of the best little-known rivalries in professional tennis.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Opelka blew about eight match points in the second set at 65 and the tiebreaker. Jaziri is a crafty player. Big win for Paul over Chung in three sets avenging the three set loss last year to Chung in Houston. Very important win for Paul which I think could be his first at the ATP level, definitely first this year. Paul could beat Jaziri and be in the QF after playing most of the year struggling badly in Futures. Smyczek could soon drop out of the top 200. Young keeps plugging along holding steady at around 50.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Hartt; I saw Rudy Molleker at Herr two years ago, he was very young and thin and I talked with an insider about him and the word then was that he hit too straight down the middle and not enough angles but he was a big prospect. Didn't have any big junior results that I saw but this is huge for him to be knocking on the door of an ATP event at 16. Would have been neat to see him play veteran Haas first round. There definitely was buzz about Molleker two years ago and it's a good sign that he has progressed upward.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Very bad backwards step loss by Fritz to lose to college player Eubanks. Could be the kick in the a55 he needs to spark him going forward. Kozlov is also struggling to win matches in ATP main draws as is Opelka. Donaldson and Tiafoe are leading the pack and guess what? They both have former ATP top 15 coaches in Gambill and Ginepri while the others have USTA appointees. The logical conclusion? Get a former ATP top 15 coach like Spadea, Blake, Roddick, Fish, Dent, etc.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Just not sure what these coaches like Diego Moyano and Peter Lucassen and Stan Boster bring to the table for young ATP pros. They didn't make it as ATP pros. Meanwhile a guru like Spadea is probably sitting in a Starbucks right now looking at his phone.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

I think it's pretty clear by now Djokovic is going through some issues and the elbow or whatever he says is probably the smokescreen. He had an INCREDIBLE RUN for several years of ruthless terminator machine tennis. Now it's time for some peace and love.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

First saw Eubanks hitting with Raonic pre US Open last year. All I can say is watch out. Kid can play. Was holding his own with Raonic.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Lacko is no clown, he once gave Nadal a bagel.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Paul is in the QF of Atlanta and I would say he has a shot to win the title. See? One tournament can change a player's career. Just a few weeks ago Paul lost in a Futures to a guy I never heard of ranked 1900 something. Now Paul is three wins away from winning an ATP title. These rankings or grading of #NEXTGEN players is like trying to critique an oil painting before it's half way finished.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Catherine; What is the name of Simona's cafe?

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

On Monday, Paul was at the bottom of the list of #NEXTGEN US players. On Sunday afternoon he could leapfrog to the TOP of the list. That's how much things can change in the span of a week.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Blumberg is emerging. Billy Blumberg sounds cooler though :)