Atlanta Final: The Isner vs Harrison Rivalry

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions

Big John Isner continued his blazing form as he blasted through the third seed and ATP World No. 22 (career high) Gilles Muller 6-4, 6-2 in just 75 minutes to reach his seventh Atlanta final in the past eight years.

World No. 20 Isner earned his seventh consecutive win and once again did not drop serve, saving four break points againt the left-handed Luxembourg veteran. Isner, perhaps on the best streak of his ATP career which began in Washington in 2007, has held serve for 69 straight service games, dating back to his title run last week at the Dell Technologies Hall of Fame Open in Newport.

Isner is itching to score his second straight ATP title and the eleventh of his career today vs. rival Ryan Harrison who needed three sets to take care of Brit Kyle Edmund. “It was a very good match. Absolutely nothing to complain about today,” said Isner. “On and off the court in pretty quick fashion and I certainly will be ready to go tomorrow (vs Harrison). I feel great physically, maybe the best I have felt in quite sometime. More importantly than that I am pretty confident as well.”

Isner, 32, will be gunning for his fourth Atlanta title on Sunday against Harrison who narrowly escaped his semifinal 6-7(5), 6-3, 6-4 with Edmund.

“He (Isner) is very comfortable playing here. I am too,” Harrison said. “It is going to be really important for me not to get discouraged whenever he is hammering aces left and right. It is going to happen. I know it is going to happen. I am going to create as many opportunities as I can and make sure I hold my service games.”

Harrison, who has previously reached the Atlanta semi-finals in 2011 and 2013, is 2-5 career vs. Isner though many of the duels have been very close encounters. World No. 42 Harrison, two notches below his career high achieved earlier this month, will be contesting in his first Atlanta final and the second title match of his career. The 25 year old Louisiana native won the Memphis Open in February (d. Basilashvili). Harrison also won the Roland Garros doubles title this year (with Venus).

Harrison won the last meeting with Isner in Canada last summer, and the last two meetings on hard court. But Isner has shown an ability to beat Harrison when the stakes were highest, including the five set win 8-6 in the fifth at Roland Garros in 2013 and a semifinal win vs Harrison in Newport five years ago.

2016 ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Canada Outdoor Hard R32 Ryan Harrison 76(3) 67(4) 64

2013 Newport RI, U.S.A. Outdoor Grass R32 John Isner 76(0) 62

2013 Roland Garros France Outdoor Clay R64 John Isner 57 67(7) 63 61 86

2013 Houston TX, U.S.A. Outdoor Clay R32 John Isner 76(4) 64

2013 Sydney Australia Outdoor Hard R16 Ryan Harrison 64 64

2012 Newport RI, U.S.A. Outdoor Grass SF John Isner 76(4) 63

2010 Memphis TN, U.S.A. Indoor Hard R32 John Isner 61 75

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

This is a great final, two players who are red hot right now and really determined to escalate their career momentums. Very hard to pick a winner but ... I will pick Harrison in three.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Nice typical win by Isner. He Inserized Harrison. First set evolving as expected then at 5-5 with Isner serving, Isner suddenly displays for all to see that his knee suddenly hurts and calls for the doctor for the changeover. Isner also makes a display to the chair ump Layhani that he wants or needs new balls, because I think, some of the match balls or one of them is dead or not feeling sufficiently adequate. Stall tactic number two by Isner. He holds and then gets the timeout which of course stalls Harrison. But Harrison holds. Tiebreaker. Harrison has the mini break. Then in an early point of the TB Isner suddenly displays the slightly delayed grunt during a baseline rally. Out of nowhere. Isner ends up getting back on serve and then closes it out with a backhand rip crosscourt on a second serve which catches sideline. Second set, Harrison holds and breaks for 2-0 but then plays a poor game and is broken back. Isner also played a poor game, even punching his Prince racquet strings after a netted swing volley which would have given him 15-40. But he did get the break and the set goes to the inevitable TB with Harrison once again getting the early mini break. But Isner battles back and ultimately wins it with another forehand up the line which Harrison can't quite handle with his running backhand. Great match and excellent win for Isner. Harrison is gracious and friendly at the net for the embrace unlike Isner's quick cold handshake after losing to Harrison in Canada last summer. Isner clearly regards himself as the American alpha male. Harrison appear on his way to be that man in the future.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Muller is at his career high ranking now at 22 and ATL could lift it even higher. Muller could conceivably be top 15 by end of the year. Four years ago he was losing Miami qualis and hitting on public courts with Jean Yves Aubone.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Isner is playing maybe his best right now. Serve is lethal as usual but he is striking the ball well on the first ball. He's a nightmare to play when he's on and he is ON. I just hope Isner does not burn out again before the Open by playing too much and he needs to skip Winston Salem to be sufficiently fresh. One of these majors Isner is going to put it together and take down a giant or two or three. It's overdue.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

It's interesting Citi Open has made DY vs Smee the featured might match. I will be there. Also on the card are Kozlov v Bhambri who wiped up Koz in Aus Open qualis this year. Paul is in action. Opelka vs Medvedev. Giorgi vs Andreescu. I'm excited to get to DC tomorrow.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Isner and Harrison and Baghdatis are also in this star studded draw.