Arthur Ashe Stadium

lindseywagners

Futures Player
Reactions
The roof appears to have really changed the lighting inside the stadium, and it's not even a full roof yet (which makes me think it will even change more).

I'm only going by what I've seen on TV, but during the day it looks more shaded and at night under the lights it doesn't look as bright to me like it used to - did they put new lights in?

Any thoughts?

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I really can't tell.

I wonder whether the current construction helps against the wind. I really don't like the wind factor at the US Open.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
According to the commentators, the wind factor has been significantly reduced.

lindseywagners

Futures Player
Reactions
When the roof is complete it will have taken a significant chunk out of the opening of the stadium, so I would think that would cut down on the wind. As it stands now it looks like there are just metal beams, but I guess it's possible that they too are blocking some of the wind.

Overall, Ashe just doesn't feel the same when watching it (that's an awkward phrase but that's the best way to describe it).

What about Wimbledon - did it change a lot when they put the roof on it?

tented

Administrator
Reactions
lindseywagners said:
When the roof is complete it will have taken a significant chunk out of the opening of the stadium, so I would think that would cut down on the wind. As it stands now it looks like there are just metal beams, but I guess it's possible that they too are blocking some of the wind.

The commentators on ESPN said earlier this afternoon it's like two different tournaments: Ashe, then every other court. Even though the roof isn't complete, the steel structure has cut down the wind.

Overall, Ashe just doesn't feel the same when watching it (that's an awkward phrase but that's the best way to describe it).

Agreed. I never, ever thought I would say this, but Ashe seems smaller.

ftan

Masters Champion
Reactions
Yup Federer mentioned he didnt feel the wind and actually likes the change

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I didn't think they could make the stadium any uglier, but they have succeeded. It is by far the ugliest stadium in tennis, maybe even sports. Awful.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I don't know how it looks from the outside, but it does not look too bad from the inside. Not a gem, but I prefer it over Rod Laver.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Denisovich said:
I don't know how it looks from the outside, but it does not look too bad from the inside. Not a gem, but I prefer it over Rod Laver.

LOL Never thought I'd hear that one. We all have our preferences I guess.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kirijax said:
Denisovich said:

I don't like the ring that seperates the players from the crowd at Laver. And Ashe can seat 22 000 people, that makes it pretty special in itself.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Denisovich said:
Kirijax said:
Denisovich said:

I don't like the ring that seperates the players from the crowd at Laver. And Ashe can seat 22 000 people, that makes it pretty special in itself.

More isn't always more. IMO It's noisy, looks dirty, nothing aesthetic at all about the place, the junkyard of pro tennis. That's my image of the US Open.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kirijax said:
Denisovich said:
Kirijax said:

More isn't always more. IMO It's noisy, looks dirty, nothing aesthetic at all about the place, the junkyard of pro tennis. That's my image of the US Open.

Yeah can see that too, have you been there?

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Denisovich said:
Kirijax said:
Denisovich said:

Yeah can see that too, have you been there?

No. Maybe my opinion will change if I go there. But I have yet to see a picture, video or any kind of shot to make me change my mind.

lindseywagners

Futures Player
Reactions
ftan said:
Yup Federer mentioned he didnt feel the wind and actually likes the change

Federer comments extensively on the roof:

1:55 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5oJsoqForI