Andy Murray vs. Stan Wawrinka: Who will end up with more Grand Slams?

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Andy Murray vs. Stan Wawrinka: Who will end up with the most Grand Slam titles when all is said and done? I didn't think I would ever be posting something like this. I actually thought about Murray vs. Juan Martin del Potro in the past, but the sudden emergence of Wawrinka now has me wondering.

Andy Murray
Grand Slam Titles: 2012 U.S. Open, 2013 Wimbledon
ATP Tour Titles: 33
Masters 1000 Titles: 10
Other Significant Wins: London Olympics Gold Medal
Highest Ranking: No. 2
Current Ranking: No. 3
Record against Top 10:
Djokovic: 8-19
Federer: 11-12
Wawrinka: 8-6
Nishikori: 4-1
Berdych: 6-6
Ferrer: 9-6
Raonic: 3-3
Cilic: 10-2
Nadal: 6-15

Stan Wawrinka
Grand Slam Titles: 2014 Australian Open, 2015 French Open
ATP Tour Titles: 10
Masters 1000 Titles: 1
Other Significant Wins: 2014 Davis Cup / Beijing Olympics Doubles Gold Medal
Highest Ranking: No. 3
Current Ranking: No. 4
Record against Top 10:
Djokovic: 4-17
Federer: 3-16
Murray: 6-8
Nishikori: 3-1
Berdych: 11-5
Ferrer: 6-7
Raonic: 4-0
Cilic: 8-2
Nadal: 2-12

Record in last 12 Grand Slams: Murray / Wawrinka
2012 Wimbledon: Finalist / 1st Round
2012 U.S. Open: Champion / 4th Round
2013 Australian Open Finalist / 4th Round
2013 French Open: Absent / Quarterfinals
2013 Wimbledon: Champion / 1st Semifinals
2013 U.S. Open: Quarterfinals / Semifinals
2014 Australian Open: Quarterfinals / Champion
2014 French Open: Semifinals / 1st Round
2014 Wimbledon: Quarterfinals / Quarterfinals
2014 U.S. Open: Quarterfinals / Quarterfinals
2015 Australian Open: Finals / Semifinals
2015 French Open: Semifinals / Champion

Murray has the advantage in age and consistency but Wawrinka seems to have that scary zone factor. When he is on, no one can stop him. Murray might need the luck of the draw during the next two years to pick up some more slams, but after what we witnessed in Paris, if Wawrinka is on, there's not much anyone can do about it. The question is how many more times will Wawrinka be able to put a tournament like that together? I'd still put my money on Murray but it's no longer going to be a surprise if Wawrinka ends up with more Slams.

MurrayvsWawrinka2_zpszlaykico.jpg

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Andy. He's going to get in position more often to win things, but...I think a US Open final between them this year would be great....

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Logic says bet on Andy. But Stanimal is a real animal if he gets to the final. Andy definitely seems more likely to get deeper though. Ask me the question again at the end of the year. I'm intrigued to see if this slam win makes Stan a new more consistent player. Despite the Aussie win, his personal issues, and doubts about his ability were holding him back. Will that still be the case now? I really really hope not. A guy with that high level would be a great addition to the top competitions.

Incidentally, am I the only one who thinks that Stan's highest level right now, might just be the highest level on tour?

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
federberg said:
Logic says bet on Andy. But Stanimal is a real animal if he gets to the final. Andy definitely seems more likely to get deeper though. Ask me the question again at the end of the year. I'm intrigued to see if this slam win makes Stan a new more consistent player. Despite the Aussie win, his personal issues, and doubts about his ability were holding him back. Will that still be the case now? I really really hope not. A guy with that high level would be a great addition to the top competitions.

Incidentally, am I the only one who thinks that Stan's highest level right now, might just be the highest level on tour?

I'm thinking the same way, federberg. And I'm sure a lot of fans are too. That level that he held all the way through was just nuts.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I'm not sure if both players aregoing to win more GS but I would bet for Muzz, first because is younger and second because is better player and if he learns to control better his emotions he could win more

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Carol35 said:
I'm not sure if both players aregoing to win more GS but I would bet for Muzz, first because is younger and second because is better player and if he learns to control better his emotions he could win more

And as we all know that if is a pretty big IF! :snicker I would like to see him control it a bit better but he is what he is.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kirijax said:
federberg said:

I'm thinking the same way, federberg. And I'm sure a lot of fans are too. That level that he held all the way through was just nuts.

But that's sort of the problem. His game relies on a certain amount of confidence, which has where his consistency issues have come in.

It's an interesting comparison, now that both have two Majors. And as the OP says, Murray has a few advantages. We'll really have to see how Stan reacts to this win. If he can stay in the top 4 for a while, he may have a couple of years to be dangerous. But Andy likely has almost twice that, and is more consistent.

BIG3

Futures Player
Reactions
Stan's slam journey is like Rafa in RG, as far as he reaches final, he can basket the trophy.
Murray is like Nole, good and consistent enough to reach SF of each slam.
Stan's ceiling is higher and it doesn't matter to him who is playing cross the net.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Murray has the game to win more Wimbledons with basically only Novak stopping him there these days along with an aging Federer who may or may not reach another final. Until Nadal proves he's able to play on grass again I'm not including him there but anything can change of course and we've only a few weeks to wait. Stan is indeed an absolute animal when he's in the zone but I could see Murray winning a more than 1 more Wimbledon personally. I'd have Andy as the slight favourite to win Wimbledon this year.

BIG3

Futures Player
Reactions
We are talking about slams, so Murray's stellar achievement in Master can be skipped.

Both Stan and Murray are underdogs when facing the BIG3, what are goalkeeper of slams. How is their record compared? My rough memory tells almost the same. Stan beat each of BIG3, Nole @ AO & RG, Fed @ RG, Rafa @ AO. He proved himself in the last 6 slams. Murray is a bit unlucky that he faced Nole thrice in a row. I cannot wait to see how he will play against Fedal.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
BIG3 said:
We are talking about slams, so Murray's stellar achievement in Master can be skipped.

Both Stan and Murray are underdogs when facing the BIG3, what are goalkeeper of slams. How is their record compared? My rough memory tells almost the same. Stan beat each of BIG3, Nole @ AO & RG, Fed @ RG, Rafa @ AO. He proved himself in the last 6 slams. Murray is a bit unlucky that he faced Nole thrice in a row. I cannot wait to see how he will play against Fedal.

It's still all about the matchups; Nole over Murray, Nadal beatin' Federer, and Murray having intermittent success over Nadal and Federer! Nole being the least vulnerable with the homogenized surfaces and play! He has the fewest weaknesses, is hitting his prime, while Rafa and Roger are on the way "down!" Murray's a legitimate rival, but you have to win sometime for it to be considered as such! How many losses before it's a trend instead? :puzzled :nono :angel: :dodgy: - Grass is Murray's best chance against them all! I can't wait!:popcorn :clap