All the records of the 1992 US Open won by Stefan Edberg

stefanstennis

Reactions
The October 1992 issue of Tennis Magazine celebrated Stefan Edberg's outstanding triumph at the US Open of that year, his last Grand Slam singles title, obtained with three consecutive comebacks from a break down in the fifth set and a final win on Pete Sampras. The Swede came back from Flushing Meadows with a set of records and the world n.1 again in his pocket by just three points...

Read the article by Bruno Cuaz translated into English --> http://bit.ly/14nHu4G
Download the pdf clipping --> http://bit.ly/15Unx97

1992_us_open_stefan_edberg_champion_007.jpg

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Thanks for that stefanstennis. As a fellow Edbergian it's nice to be reminded of Stefan at the USO 92, it was remarkable.

Didi

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
I remember the US Open 1992 very well because back then in France there was a lot of buzz and detailed coverage around the Forget-Sampras 4th round classic. After that, they continued with live coverage of all matches from the Quarterfinals and beyond. I stayed awake every single night to watch Stefan's matches. Stefan was incredibly popular in France despite the Davis Cup rivalry with Sweden.
It was one of the greatest and gutsiest title runs in the history. In every single match you had that special feeling that Stefan was not going to be denied no matter what, similar to M. Stich at Wimbledon 1991.

Oh boy how I miss the early 90s when you had 6+ serious title contenders going into Slams. In that regard the 1992 US Open were one of my favorite tournaments ever. It was basically impossible to predict the winner with equally convincing reasons to find for Courier, Edberg, Sampras, Chang, Ivanisevic, Agassi, Becker and Stich to go all the way heading into the tournament. Plus Washington, Forget and Krajicek who also were involved in some dramatic matches. You also had Lendl still lurking around and fighting literally tooth and nails against Stefan. That 5th set tiebreaker had me on the edge of my seat in my student apartment.

Easily one of the deepest fields to ever enter the main draw of a Slam. So much uncertainty and it certainly lived up to the hype and turned out to be one of the most exciting Slams in the Open Era. Sorry for off-topic but your thread brought back tons of memories. Great fan site by the way. You obviously put a lot of passion into it which is great to see as I consider Stefan to be one of tennis greatest unsung heroes. He's rarely ever mentioned in debates about the greatest players despite reaching all 4 slam finals in a time when the surfaces were so different like night and day and coming out on top in one of the most competitive and richest eras in talent at the end of the 80s and the early 90s.
What a player.