2024 Internazionali BNL d'Italia, Rome, Italy - WTA 1000

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
And if you go even further, Serena went on to win RG in 2013. Dinara got to the final in 2009 but didn't win it. So Iga has a chance to do what only Serena has done, which is win the clay double and RG in the same year.
Remember that RG is slower clay surface than Rome, Iga comes into her own on clay in a slower clay surface, players that can defeat her have to have patience for starters, and be prepared to 'grind it out' as Iga's defense is soo good like a wall.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Remember that RG is slower clay surface than Rome, Iga comes into her own on clay in a slower clay surface, players that can defeat her have to have patience for starters, and be prepared to 'grind it out' as Iga's defense is soo good like a wall.
That's true. You can also rush her if you have the power. But you need to have that perfect balance of power and controlled aggression so you don't hit yourself out of the match.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
That's true. You can also rush her if you have the power. But you need to have that perfect balance of power and controlled aggression so you don't hit yourself out of the match.
I will be interested to see how Rybalina performs at RG? withdrawing because she feels too tired to compete eg Rome, after Saba beat her in Madrid, is a bit 'precious' to me, I mean Iga and Saba didnt have much time to rest before they played Rome

Reactions: don_fabio

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Ostapenko would be deadly if she had patience but she's a headcase. Tries for winners every point. It's either a spectacular display of winners or downright ugly slop depending on the day. Either way, she has her number so Swiatek better hope she avoids her.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Ostapenko would be deadly if she had patience but she's a headcase. Tries for winners every point. It's either a spectacular display of winners or downright ugly slop depending on the day. Either way, she has her number so Swiatek better hope she avoids her.

Regardless of the H2H favoring Osta 4-0 I will have to believe it to see it, if she can defeat Iga at RG, I know she has won the title before, though to me she hasnt the patience to 'grind it out' against Iga, Iga's defense on clay is great, also which Osta will turn up on the day, she is prone to be a UFE machine for starters.Keeping your UFE low on clay is a 'must'

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
BTW I Am Over having these WTA1000 and also ATP1000 tournaments going for nearly 2 weeks, lets go back to the normal 7 days for these events
Even the players are complaining
I suppose the WTA and ATP think the longer tournaments brings in fans and they means more money?
I know in Italy they love their tennis, they have had record crowds in Rome.
They did a poll on social media and the response was 87% in favor of returning to 7 days!

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Regardless of the H2H favoring Osta 4-0 I will have to believe it to see it, if she can defeat Iga at RG, I know she has won the title before, though to me she hasnt the patience to 'grind it out' against Iga, Iga's defense on clay is great, also which Osta will turn up on the day, she is prone to be a UFE machine for starters.Keeping your UFE low on clay is a 'must'
The difference though is women's tennis is best of 3 everywhere. A lot different than when a player beats Nadal in clay best of 3 but loses in best of 5 badly on the bigger court at RG.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The difference though is women's tennis is best of 3 everywhere. A lot different than when a player beats Nadal in clay best of 3 but loses in best of 5 badly on the bigger court at RG.
Yep, though with Iga at RG where the conditions are slower, she gets to adjust her feet better, than say a faster clay surface eg Madrid
On a HC fast surface, this is where a player can hit flat and hard to Iga's fhand wing and get the UFE as she dosent have the time to adjust her feet, also on grass.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Yep, though with Iga at RG where the conditions are slower, she gets to adjust her feet better, than say a faster clay surface eg Madrid
On a HC fast surface, this is where a player can hit flat and hard to Iga's fhand wing and get the UFE as she dosent have the time to adjust her feet, also on grass.
True. I thought Rome looked very fast this year for the few minutes of highlights I watched of the men's.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
True. I thought Rome looked very fast this year for the few minutes of highlights I watched of the men's.
Rome is typically a fast clay court, though again it depends if it is hot, which makes the ball travel faster, though at night the ball is usually heavier

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
BTW I Am Over having these WTA1000 and also ATP1000 tournaments going for nearly 2 weeks, lets go back to the normal 7 days for these events
Even the players are complaining
I suppose the WTA and ATP think the longer tournaments brings in fans and they means more money?
I know in Italy they love their tennis, they have had record crowds in Rome.
They did a poll on social media and the response was 87% in favor of returning to 7 days!
7 days Masters were action packed perfectly and this is stretched and it's not better at all. It's worse for the players too. I would love to see it going back to 7 days format.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Congratulations to the unseeded Jasmine Paolini/Sara Errani who are the Rome Doubles Champions defeating the No 3 seeds Coco Gauff/ Erin Routliffe in a hard fought win at their home tournament 63 46 10 -8