2019 French Open SF: Johanna Konta vs. Marketa Vondrousova

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Let me watch Konta's match before I make my mind up:) I had to record it as I was working.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just finished watching Konta's match against Sloane...........Wow,outstanding stat for Konta in the match was she dropped just one point on serve in the 2nd set a D/Fault.

Vondrousova showed today in her match she is a fighter,a very calm and focused young woman,can turn defense into offense against Martic.

If Konta plays the way she did against Sloane and not let Vondrousova into the match,especially serving like she did...I expect Konta to win.

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
So Konta arrives at 5-3 for the second straight set. Can she finish it this time? That is a legitimate question. But. I feel like I'm starting to see a pattern with Vondrousova. She, at the end of sets, really starts to show up. Konta almost didn't get to 5-3 just now. Vondrousova got it to deuce. But Konta came up with some nice first strike tennis off some good serves to close it out. But Vondrousova with a love hold immediately.

So while Konta is serving. The question is not entirely, can she serve it out. Because Vondrousova has had her way with her serve at different points all day. It's not always on Konta's racket. Just like it's not always on Vondrousova's racket. They are both nervous. For sure. But they are both playing really well for much of the time.

Konta dropping the first point of this service game. But 15-all. But Vondrousova with a nice return and Konta can't quite get the point. And I'm going back and forth between these two ladies matches. So I do miss some points. Konta going down 2 break points. Konta saves one. But not the second. 5-5. Vondrousova just keeps finding whatever she needs EVERY time she's down. Now, currently, the only woman who hasn't lost a set. After Anisimova lost the second set. Barty with the break back over there for 2-2. And Vondrousova with another love hold. My goodness. HUGE future if she's gonna fight like this all the time. Coming into her own now. Just a game away from the final. Konta to serve.

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
So no let down from Konta this time. Tiebreak. Which I guess is still a chance for another let down. And also, didn't we just talk about Vondrousova not having lost a tiebreak this year.

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Chris Evert the commentator for this match and I think she's completely right about Konta. Konta seems to basically decided she's going to play like she did against Stephens and go for everything and if she doesn't execute that's it. But she could easily be putting more spin on a lot of her shots and keep the point going. And Konta, like Martic and Vondrousova the other day, has been using the drop shot all day and rarely doing it well. Then Vondrousova misses one completely right behind that. Just not the time y'all.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
AH! What a nice shot. Nice touch. Great pass. Opens up a 5-2 lead in the tiebreak. And now 4 match points. And back to the drop shot. She makes this one though. Konta too far back. Not fast enough. Vondrousova fully deserved it. Konta just, not there mentally. 5-3 up both sets. Vondrousova just fighting. When she gets down she lights up. And that is what we look for. The sign of a champion. Konta making the semis of RG after never having won a match here though. That's so fantastic. It'll help her ranking. Nice paycheck. But those are not great consolation prizes. She'll be ... bitterly disappointed. That is a good bit of a collapse from Konta. Buuuuut.... again. Vondrousova doing so well to just fight every point and win the long rallies. The better player the longer the rally. Probably the better player most days. Fantastic from her. SO impressive. Seriously. I've just been so impressed with her.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I can't believe Konta was leading in both sets and failed to serve it out in both.

Reactions: AnonymousFan