2019 French Open SF: Ashleigh Barty vs. Amanda Anisimova

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I wont be able to watch this match. live....weather does not look good at all.I will record it and watch later.

Halep was just clueless in her game with Amanda.kept putting the ball straight into Amanda's strike zone....Barty has a great tennis brain,she can put different spins on the ball,also use her bhand slice to perfection on this surface,it drops low.If Ash can continue to serve like she has,I feel she has a great chance to win.Ash in 3 sets.

Reactions: don_fabio

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I am very disappointed to see both women's s/finals on Suzanne Lenglen.I understand the scheduling has been challenged by weather conditions.Still the four women s/finalists have earned their right to play on Phillipe Chatrier.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I am very disappointed to see both women's s/finals on Suzanne Lenglen.I understand the scheduling has been challenged by weather conditions.Still the four women s/finalists have earned their right to play on Phillipe Chatrier.

No, both are not in Suzanne Lenglen. Only one is. The other is in Simonne-Matthieu. The reason they split them is to ensure that both finalists have the same recovery time (in view of the expected rain and interruptions). They wanted to avoid the situation of one of the semifinals being completed and the other one not.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Well on Twitter they said both to play on Lenglen.....regardless....I still feel they earned their right to play on Chatrier.....of course they would not dream of moving Fedal:)

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Well on Twitter they said both to play on Lenglen.....regardless....I still feel they earned their right to play on Chatrier.....of course they would not dream of moving Fedal:)

Come on. It is not a disrespect to women. The weather caused it.

Who would you place in PC? Big Three each of whom have won more than a dozen slams or unknown girls who are first time semifinalists.

This is a no-brainer and no reason to complain.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
No further comment from me as I am a clueless woman and should not have a right to complain apparently.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I agree 100% with Amelie Mauresmo who just wrote this on Twitter regarding the women's scheduling for the s/finals

'Tomorrow's scheduling of the women's s/finals is a disgrace.Women's semis at 11am on the 2nd and 3rd courts of the tournament?!.Not even one of them on centre court.
It would have been pretty simple to open Lenglen on top of Chatrier and put both women's matches at 1pm followed by both men's matches and refund those who didn't want their tickets anymore'.

Reactions: kskate2

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I agree 100% with Amelie Mauresmo who just wrote this on Twitter regarding the women's scheduling for the s/finals

'Tomorrow's scheduling of the women's s/finals is a disgrace.Women's semis at 11am on the 2nd and 3rd courts of the tournament?!.Not even one of them on centre court.
It would have been pretty simple to open Lenglen on top of Chatrier and put both women's matches at 1pm followed by both men's matches and refund those who didn't want their tickets anymore'.

This is doable and they would have done this, if the weather is expected to be clear on Friday. Actually, the forecast calls for rain for a considerable period of time. It is ok if the second men's final does not finish in time, as they could finish it on Saturday and then play the final on Sunday. But, it is absolutely important that both women's semifinal finish on Friday as they need to play the final on Saturday.

Finally, one does not have to bother folks who bought expensive tickets to PC thinking they will be able to see two men's SF.

Apart from Amelie, the WTA chief also complained. However, I think Guy Forget decided the best course of option given the circumstances.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
This is doable and they would have done this, if the weather is expected to be clear on Friday. Actually, the forecast calls for rain for a considerable period of time. It is ok if the second men's final does not finish in time, as they could finish it on Saturday and then play the final on Sunday. But, it is absolutely important that both women's semifinal finish on Friday as they need to play the final on Saturday.

Finally, one does not have to bother folks who bought expensive tickets to PC thinking they will be able to see two men's SF.

Apart from Amelie, the WTA chief also complained. However, I think Guy Forget decided the best course of option given the circumstances.
The women got relegated to other courts because of who they are. If Simona, Serena or even Osaka was still in the mix at least one match would've been played on PC

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
The women got relegated to other courts because of who they are. If Simona, Serena or even Osaka was still in the mix at least one match would've been played on PC

Yep, but isn't that how scheduling generally works. Four first time semifinalists at RG on one side and three 14+ slam winners on the other side. It is no brainer. I think the TD did the right thing.

If there was no weather issue and if they had deliberately put them on SL and SM instead of on PC, I agree that it is an insult and will join in the complaining. But, this is straight forward.

AnonymousFan

Major Winner
Reactions
from 5-0 Barty leading to now 6-5 Anisimova leading

Last edited:

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
haven't been watching, is this a choke job?

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
good grief...

btw... Am I the only one who doesn't have privileges to post on the main WTA Roland Garros thread? What the hell is going on??

AnonymousFan

Major Winner
Reactions
good grief...

btw... Am I the only one who doesn't have privileges to post on the main WTA Roland Garros thread? What the hell is going on??

thread looks like it's locked, it has the locked sign

Barty took the second set!

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Anisimova definitely just feeling the nerves down the stretch. 5-2 now for Barty. Looks like after losing her first set the run is over and she'll be done here. Played SO well these last two weeks. Lose, or comeback, she's got so much to be proud of and clearly a very bright future.

... Went off and finished the match with Konta/Vondrousova and Barty and Anisimova played a deuce game. But Anisimova holds. Barty with 2 match points (at least). But Anisimova saves one. But not the second. Barty completes the comeback after being up 5-love in the first set but losing it in a tiebreak. Just found the mental fortitude to keep fighting. And you could see Anisimova get more and more and more tense and nervous. Because she's so young, she shows EVERYTHING. So frustrated with herself sometimes. But it came off as she didn't know how to fix it. And she often didn't, because she's got a lot to learn. One teenager had the goods today. But the other, a year and a half to 2 years younger, did not. But. I'd say Barty is in general, mentally stronger than Konta. So the younger player had the tougher match anyways. If Konta isn't connecting on everything, like she did against Stephens, she's oh so very vulnerable. But Barty so good today. Just kept believing. Knew she could play well when she went down 3-0 in the second set, after losing 16 straight points (said the commentators). Won 6 straight games. Took the second set. And just too good from there. Calmed herself and finished it. Experience showing through. Got some help from Anisimova though who, honestly looks like the better player for the future. Just lights out tennis when she's on and believes. But good job from Barty to keep her on her toes with all her variety. Just kept changing it up once she got her mind back in it and Anisimova couldn't swing so freely anymore.

So Barty vs. Vondrousova for the final! I am not against Barty. But I've never been too much of a fan. I'll definitely be pulling for Vondrousova. But I'll be ok with whoever comes out on top. Hopefully it's a great match.

Reactions: AnonymousFan