Daniel Koellerer: "The ATP has destroyed my life. The Fab Four would never disqualified"

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Reproduced from Tennis Circus with the kind permission of author Giacomo Marchetti.
Translated from Italian.

Daniel Koellerer makes some heavy statements about the ATP.

Many barbs have been launched by Austrian (perhaps best known for receiving a life ban from the ATP Tennis Circuit for match fixing) against the ATP, who are guilty in his opinion of expelling him without proper testing, covering the most important players and "sacrificing" the weakest.

Koellerer-630x415.jpg

The Austrian tennis player was banned for life from the circuit after it was said he rigged three matches. In this article, he talks about a variety of topics, from his expulsion, chance bets and the banning of Marin Cilic.

"First, Dani has accused the ATP of being disqualified without proof: "The tests cost me $180,000 and I did not win. The ATP has destroyed my life . My house, my wife and my child, everything is gone and I was depressed. In the case of doping you disqualified six fixed-term, yet condemned without proof for match fixing".

In addition, he also suggested that the ATP covers the most famous and important tennis players, in particular the "Fab Four", while sacrificing the weakest. "What is shocking is that it is said that the best four players are involved . I personally do not I believe it. With their bank accounts they would not even notice the difference from selling a game".

However, the ATP would never would block Djokovic, Federer, Nadal and Murray . I do not think these players manipulate the system, but if they did it would be suicide for the ATP. The best players are protected. They are too important to be sacrificed."

I am an eyesore for the ATP. They have sacrificed me to show the other players what can happen. There are protected players and players whose ATP wants to get rid of."

daniel-koellerer-1024x576.jpg

Koellerer said that three times he was approached and suggested to fix a match in exchange for money, but defended himself by saying that he immediately refused:

"I was approached by an intermediary, once I was called into a hotel room, and once they spoke to me at dinner. For a game against Davydenko they offered me $50,000, same thing for a game with Tipsarevic. Once even $100,000 to lose against Massu. I immediately refused, I have nothing to do with this. I was pretty stupid on the tennis court, rackets destroyed, insults the referee. I was just undisciplined, but with the scams had nothing to do with it"

And on the investigation of the BBC, which is the famous case bets that rocked the sport, said:"There are 16 of the top 50, which means who loses a third of the way. I'm sure that one or more players out of the top 20 manipulate matches . If I can testify? No. This is totally a guess on my part. To solve the problem, the betting must be simply suppressed. But obviously it can not do, because some tournaments are sponsored by bookmakers. This is something dirty. This is a mafia. This is something corrupt. "

On Marin Cilic , disqualified for doping in 2013, he has expressed many doubts: "I do not want to do any names. But it is clear that even with him are not clear some things. It's just sad . It is a positive result and a year later he won the US Open."

Finally, Koellerer admitted no further interest in tennis, and desired only that his daughter could have seen him in a tournament:

"I will not return to the tour. But I have always wished that my little daughter can see me in a tournament. It has never been possible unfortunately. If this does not happen , I do not care what happens to this sport . I'm so sick of this damn court".

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
I don't know a lot about his case so I can't comment on it. But I am kind of sad if he was really somehow sacrificed and wronged.

And it is not only in tennis, but in everything: big fish eats little fish, nothing much that can be changed there.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It seems that nuts Daniel destroyed his own life..he's the one to blame, not ATP

Reactions: EdbergsGhost

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Interesting how Maria Sharapova got nailed the day afterwards... does it weaken Koeller's argument about untouchables? Not sure yet.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
^ I don't think it should. The ATP and WTA are different.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Actually @masterclass made a good point... the ITF or WTA didn't announce it... Maria did. Did she make a deal so she could try and take control of the story? Would it have been officially released? Were they worried about leaks... Quite a few questions that will probably never be answered.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Good points. I don't follow the WTA enough to know if the governing body is cut from the same corrupt cloth as the ATP. I'd imagine if there was a chance for a silent ban Maria would've jumped over that instead of making it public herself. So in that sense it is implied that the WTA is not like the ATP where a much lesser star like Cilic gets a silent ban and a slap on the wrist, or where match fixing is brushed aside, or where a top player can demand not having a certain umpire do his matches due to him actually enforcing the rules. That brings an end to my ATP rant for now B-)

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I would not be surprised if one of the very top ATP players has been tested guilty for illegal substance and made some kind of deal to get through it without going public. D

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I would not be surprised if one of the very top ATP players has been tested guilty for illegal substance and made some kind of deal to get through it without going public. D
Me neither. The ATP and ITF promote the sport and yet are responsible for monitoring drug taking? Massive conflict of interest. Even the Cilic episode was leaked... there was no formal announcement... as far as we knew he was injured... and we all know what happened with Agassi (only because he came clean in his book).

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Logically all sporting bodies protect their interest first, in some cases it's their survival..... so they must deal differently with top players. I just hope that in reality not too many players are so juiced up and are physical monsters because of it. Surely some players train cleanly to achieve fitness, but i'd have to believe that some take drugs that are very advanced and hard to detect (plus ATP's protection).